Creating & Editing Tasks
Tasks are one of the fundamental building blocks of Arrivy. They contain all the essential information needed to run a job—date/time, customer information and contact details, Team members and equipment assignments. There are a variety of “flavors” of appointments available—one-time, recurring and unscheduled events. It’s important to understand the different kinds of Tasks and their components to make the most effective use of Arrivy.
Creating Tasks on the Calendar
The Tasks tab allows you to view and create Tasks/appointments. You can create regular, 1-time tasks or repeating tasks that occur daily, weekly or monthly. You can also create Activities which are notes or to-do’s which appear on Calendar and Dashboard views.
Creating a new Task opens the Task Details dialog. This page marries together Team members and Customers with a particular time/date and specific job details. In addition to Team members you can also assign Equipment to a job.
The top-left area of the Task Details dialog contains basic information on the Task and assignees:
- Task title: You are free to choose any identifying name
- Template selector: Tasks in Arrivy can be driven off Templates which govern messages that are sent and status buttons that are available to the field crew. See the section on Settings > Templates
- Group selector: In Arrivy, Groups are used to designate separate geographic or business units. You will not see this selector unless you have Groups turned on. See the section on Settings > Groups
- The Task color is the color of the task as displayed in the various calendar views and on the Dashboard. The Task color is useful for identifying related jobs. Alternatively, you can check the “use assignee color” to have the Task color default to the first Team member assigned to the task.
- Unscheduled Task check box: For appointments that don’t have an assigned date/time yet. See the section in Unscheduled Tasks: https://help.arrivy.com/tasks-and-calendar/unscheduled-tasks/
- Custom Scheduling lets you create multiple linked tasks over a number of days in one go.
- Time/Date settings including control for specifying time zone (if different from computer time zone)
- The Time Window setting lets you specify a time range for arrival instead of an absolute time (which is reflected in the text or email). Additionally, on the Settings page under Customer Communications, you can input supplementary text that will be added to the confirmation email.
- Skills: Adding Skills tags to the Skills input will let you filter the assignee list so that it shows only Team members with the specified skills.
- Assignees: Team members assigned to the Task. Arrivy knows the availability of your Team members and Equipment and will display it as you assign them to a Task.
- Equipment: If you have created equipment records in the Equipment section of Arrivy, you can see and choose available items, here.
The Customer Details section contains customer contact and addresses information:
- The Search box lets you search for an existing customer entry (as defined in Arrivy’s “Customer” section.
- Name and contact information
- The Notification switches govern how the customer is sent messages relevant to their job. As an example, customers can be sent message reminders a das before a job, when the crew is en route, and upon job completion.
- Address information
- Secondary, Tertiary addresses: Clicking the [+] button will allow you to associate additional addresses with the Task. This is useful, for example, if you’re a mover and some of the customer’s goods need to go into storage.
The “Custom Scheduling” feature lets you create tasks that go over multiple days in one go. The “+” button lets the user do so by adding new dates and you can set up different dates for tasks with different start times, end times, and durations. Once saved, all the tasks are linked together, so that you can conveniently navigate between them and keep track of the progress.
In addition to 1-time Tasks, you can also create Repeating Tasks within Arrivy. Repeating Tasks are appropriate for appointments that recur regularly. When you create a repeating event an additional section appears in the Task Details dialog. This section (shown below) allows you to edit the details of the repeating series.
You can set:
- The repeat interval (daily, monthly, weekly)
- The repeat criteria (days to repeat on)
- Starting and ending dates for the sequence or the total number of occurrences
Note that if you choose to delete or modify a recurring event, you can choose to either delete a single event, or delete the entire series. If you change an individual event, that event becomes uncoupled from the series—so, subsequent changes to the series do not affect it. If you delete a recurring event, Arrivy will only delete instances that occur in the future. Events in the past will remain on your calendar as a permanent record of their occurrence.
Instructions and Extra Fields
Instructions and Extra Fields provide information for field crews that are accessible via Arrivy’s mobile apps. This information appears in the Details panel of those apps. Instructions include free form text and includes the ability to attach files such as PDFs or .docx documents directly to the Task.
Arrivy’s Extra Fields feature lets you include specific field-oriented information with the Task such as “Truck rate”. In contrast to the Instructions field, Extra Fields is used for specific, atomic data. Extra Fields can be defined in a Template (in which case they appear in every Task using that Template), or they can be defined directly in a Task. Extra Fields defined in a Template can include the type of data being represented (text, number, date, boolean) and its names and types cannot be edited outside of the Template. Extra Fields defined in the Task are treated as “text” (although you can clearly include numbers in this text field).
Additionally, you can attach documents and forms to any Task, individually. Or, you can add documents or forms to a Template (Settings >Templates & Statuses) which will automatically attach them to all Tasks using that Template.
Customer Instructions & Extra Fields
Arrivy’s Customer records also include Instructions and Extra Field information. That data will be automatically copied to any Tasks involving that customer and will be viewable in the Details section of the mobile apps. This is useful for keeping track of things like the customer’s operating hours, gate codes, or other miscellaneous info.